Custom Blog Design

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Dust Cover for my Expression

I live in a desert. I just have three words for that...dust, dust and dust! I can dust and two hours later, it's back! I like for my sewing machine to be covered when I am not using it, so why not my Expression? So, tonight I put a little tutorial together to show you how I did it.

The first thing you have to do is pick your fabric. I love Heather Bailey fabric and already have a lot of her fabric in my sewing room...
My sewing machine dust cover 
The throw pillow on the chair in my sewing room 
Mrs. M only wears Heather Bailey 
My favorite bag I made out of Heather Bailey 
The little chandelier above my sewing machine even has shades that are covered in Heather Bailey fabric. So the choice for the Expression dust cover was simple...Heather Bailey of course! 
I started the cover by cutting the main fabric 21 3/4 inches wide by 20 inches long. You will want to use iron on fleece on the main fabric. 
I made a pattern for the two end pieces by holding up a piece of paper at the end of the Expression and traced it. I added a half inch for a bit more room and for the seam allowance.  
Then cut your two end pieces out. 
I decided to put a pocket on the back of the dust cover to hold the cords. So, cut another piece of fabric 21 3/4 inches by 13 inches.
Then you will want to iron on fleece interfacing. To both give stability and because I did not line the cover with another fabric, the fleece interfacing is really soft. 
Fold pocket fabric over, right sides together. 
Sew around the three edges 1/8 of an inch, keeping an opening on one of the edges to turn the fabric.  
 I decided to sew on red rick rack to jazz it up a bit. 
Place the pocket on the right side of the body fabric two inches above the bottom. Then top stitch the bottom of the pocket onto the outer fabric. 
Take the end pieces and pin them to to the body fabric, easing the fabric around the turns. 
It will be a bit tricky, but this is what it should look like! Once pinned, sew a 1/4 inch seam. Repeat on the other end of the dust cover.
Try on the dust cover! 
I need to hem the length, the same way you would a dress or skirt.

Iron a 1/4 inch rolled hem and then stitch the hem in place. 
A new dust cover for the Cricut...I love it! 
The backside is super cute with the rick rack! 
Well, whatcha think? This was super fast, and super easy. But there is something wrong here...Little Cricut, your turn is next for a new dress!

18 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I should make one for my silhouette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I want to make one for my cricut. Thanks so much.
    found you on We did it wednesday! Love the fabrics in your sewing room.
    ladeedacreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. Love your choice of colors and fabric. Thanks for sharing - you've inspired me to make something for the cricut in my craft studio!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fabrics are so pretty, my fav is the pocket book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First you showed us the amazing sewing machine cover, now the cricut cover! I absolutely LOVE it and can't wait to find time to make one for myself! Thank you again for linking up! We featured this on Sew Woodsy yesterday! Please make sure you grab a featured button and display it proudly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! This dust cover is super easy to make...please post pictures if you make one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I linked over from Just a Girl's party. I love this idea. Sure beats dusting all the time. I am your latest follower. I would love for you to come and check out my blog at www.diybydesign.blogspot and follow me back. Thanks. Looking forward to keeping up with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THIS IS FAB. love the fabric. winks- jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am SOOOO making one of these! The fabric is really pretty. I like how everything matches! Thanks for posting!
    Saw this on Ladybug Blessings

    http://fallanstechnicolordreams.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous idea....and FABULOUS fabric!! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those fabrics! Thanks for linking up to Fantastic Friday, I cannot wait to see what you share this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just wanted to let you know that I sent my MIL this link to the Cricut Cover and she is making me one and herself one. We talked tonight on the phone and you came up. She says that she loves your blog and that we would all have fun crafting together. We too are both LDS and lived in Vegas at one point. Thanks again for the link up, because now I am getting a cute MUCH needed Cricut dust cover. winks- jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for ALL the nice comments! Jen, I would love to craft sometime with you and your mother in law!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hear you! I live in the high dessert where it is wiindy. Thank you for the tutorial. I love the fabrics that you chose.

    Happy weekend!

    : )

    Julie M.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute project...and I adore the fabrics you used. Thanks for linking up to Fridays Unfolded!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never would think of covering up my Cricut! Great idea and I love the fabric you used!

    Thanks for sharing in FFA!

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing and I will try to make it. I love my cricut and want to keep it going so I thank you for the pattern. Phyllis /fefelu

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...