Custom Blog Design

Friday, March 9, 2012

Help! I've fallen, and I can't get up!

Ok, ok, so I didn't fall, but I can't sleep...so how about I say, "Help! I've gone to bed, and I can't sleep!" That is exactly how I feel tonight (or this morning). I rolled over to talk to my husband a bit, but he was totally out, snoring and all. So, I decided to get up and sew.

Some of you know that for Christmas my husband bought me a new embroidery machine and I couldn't be happier! Here it is March and I have yet to pull the embroidery unit out of the box. Shame! But, I have been using it as a sewing machine, and I LOVE this machinne!

This machine is a bit larger than my old machine, therefore the dust cover from the old machine would not work for my new machine. I have had an idea in my head for quite some time on what style dust cover I wanted. 
So, tonight (this morning) I decided to make the dust cover for my new sewing machine. I started out by making some plans on a piece of paper.  
I then started cutting fabric according to the measurements. Once the pieces for the cover were cut, I did add fleece interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric to help give the cover some shape.
I am using a natural cotton for the main fabric, then three strips of different fabric for the ruffles.  
When I laid this out on the table, I thought it would make a really cute summer skirt! Hmmmm, inspiration,...

I added piping around the two ends of the cover and a big red flower to the front (I am not sure I like the flower, so I just pinned it there for now)

And, here is the finished cover! 

I have to say, I really like how the red piping pops off of the natural cotton. 
So, there you have it. I like it. And, now I don't have to worry about getting any of the desert dust on my new machine!

Happy Friday....off to bed for a few minutes! ;)



4 comments:

  1. This is really a cute dust cover - you should make patterns for those of us not as talented! Congratulations on your new embroidery machine - I have the Brother Innovis 4000D and I absolutely love it - it's great for quilting, too! Nancy Zieman has put out a new book called Machine Embroidered Quilting and Applique

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Irene! I think the red flower needs to be a little bigger, but I love the look of it there- it really helps the piping stand out! Man I would love to spend a day sewing with you. (or night ;) )
    xoxo,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. very cute! i have a sewing machine cover on my TO DO list as well - mmmm maybe a cute skirt after your idea too! tee hee! xo

    www.NorthernCottage.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really cute! Way to go-hope you got some sleep:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...